Call for abstracts
Abstract submission has now closed
The EPSM 2018 Conference Committee invites abstracts for the Engineering & Physical Sciences in Medicine Conference 2018 to be held in Adelaide, Australia, 29 October to 31 October 2018. The conference theme this year is “Science Fusion: Innovation through Diversity“. There are many ways to interpret the theme, including science blending (physics, biology, chemistry, …), fusion of sciences with health and medicine, clinical engineering and information technology, and the whole interoperability space between diverse devices. Other examples of fusion include the rise of various “omics”, multidisciplinary and international collaborations, and many others. The Committee is seeking exciting, innovative and creative presentations that encapsulate the theme and take the opportunity to showcase their work. Presentations at the EPSM Conference 2018 can be either oral presentations or posters.
To secure your presentation in the Program, all presenting authors (oral and e-Poster) must register and pay to attend the Conference. Registrations are open and early bird prices close on 31 August.
For your details to be included in the Conference Program, you will need to have registered by 14 September 18. If you have not registered by this date, we regret that your presentation will then be removed from the program to enable other presenters to take your timeslot.
31 August 2018: Deadline for early bird registration
14 September 2018: Registration deadline for presenting authors
24 September: e-Poster submission deadline
Oral presentation details have now been sent to accepted abstract authors. If you have not received your timing information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
In you acceptance please take note of your allotted speaking time, oral sessions will be made up of either a 13 minute or a 15 minute slot, you must allow 2 minutes for questions within your allotted time.
If your work has been presented previously, this must be disclosed at the start of your oral presentation. You must include information about where and when the work was presented, and whether there was any source of funding or conflict of interest.
Acceptance of your abstract is taken as confirmation of your agreement to have your abstract published in the official journal of the ACPSEM.
Speaker Preparation Room
The Speaker’s Preparation Room (City Suite 2) will be open at the following times:
Monday 29 October 0800 – 1700
Tuesday 30 October 0800 – 1630
Wednesday 31 October 0800 – 1630
Please bring your presentation to the Speaker’s Preparation Room at least 2 hours prior to your session. We recommend bringing two copies on separate memory sticks.
The venue rooms are equipped with a technician’s laptop and data projector and you will have the choice of a lectern or lapel microphone. If you require any other equipment, please advise us on email@example.com.
Preparation of Presentation Slides
The screens and projectors are optimised to deliver images in the 16:9 ratio therefore we advise that you prepare your template in this format.
For Powerpoint users go to Design in the top toolbar and click on ‘Page Setup’. In ‘Slides sized for’ choose ‘On-screen show (16:9)’ and hit OK.
For Keynote users you’ll be prompted to pick a theme template when opening a new presentation. From ‘Slide Size’ choose one of these resolutions in pixels: 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080 (Full HD).
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to the start of your presentation to meet your Session Chair and to familiarise yourself with the venue.
Please ensure you keep within your allocated presentation time so the rest of the sessions for the day run to time.
EPSM 2018 will display posters electronically, all poster presenters will have their research available as an e-Poster. Please note: e-Posters replace all printed posters. Preparing an e-Poster will increase the visibility of your research and make it available to more conference attendees and ACPSEM members. e-Posters are not regarded as publications. They are not considered as pre-publication, nor are they peer-reviewed or citable.
e-Posters will be displayed on screens in the Exhibition Hall – Panorama Ballroom and accessible to conference attendees from 29 – 31 October 2018.
The deadline for uploading your e-Poster is 24 September 2018.
Creating your e-poster
• Download the e-Poster submission guidelines
• Download the e-Poster Powerpoint template to create your e-Poster.
• Please name your file with your paper number/reference as included in your guidelines email eg. RO01.pdf
• The file should not exceed 5MB.
• e-Posters MUST be submitted as a one-page PDF only. If your PDF exceeds one page, it will not be accepted.
• If you would like to make changes to your e-Poster after it is uploaded, simply delete the file and upload a new version before September 24.
Accepted abstracts will be available to all delegates and will be published in a volume of APESM early in 2019. Please note that the copyright of the conference proceedings belongs to EPSM, but the copyright of the individual abstracts belongs to the authors.
The Scientific Program Committee also invites you to apply for consideration of the following prizes:
Radiation Oncology Poster Presentation Prize
Radiation Oncology Oral Presentation Prize
ACPSEM prize for the best ‘non-radiation oncology’ poster presentation
ACPSEM prize for the best ‘non-radiation oncology’ oral presentation
Details of each of the prizes as well as the judging criteria can be viewed here
Abstract Preparation Guidelines
When preparing an abstract please follow the guidelines below:
- Abstracts should be typed into the template and saved on your computer for later reference.
- The filename of the Word document should only contain alpha/numeric characters with no spaces.
- The abstract should be typed in Arial font, size 11pt.
- A total of two tables, graphs or images may be included in the body of your abstract. Images should be 300dpi and embedded in the word document.
- The body of your abstract (including any tables, graphs or images) should not exceed 300 words in length.
- Your abstract should be structured as follows: Introduction, Methods, Results, Conclusion, References, and Acknowledgements (if applicable).
- Paragraphs must be separated by an empty line and must be fully justified. Do not indent the first line of a paragraph.
- All abstracts must be original work.
- Images, graphs and diagrams can be printed in colour and should be clear with legible typeface suitable for reproduction.
- All references should be written according to APESM journal format. Details can be found on the Springer APESM website under instructions to authors.
- The abstract must contain sufficient information and data to support any conclusions so that when published it should convey a complete account of the work.
- Upon submission of an abstract all authors of the abstract are aware of and agree to the publication of the abstract in the Conference collateral and in the official journal of the ACPSEM.
- Please check your abstract carefully as once submitted no further changes will be possible.
Instructions for Abstract Submission
- To register your abstract you need to have the following information:
- Preferred presentation type (oral or poster)
- The category under which you are submitting (see next section for details)
- A biography of up to 50 words on the presenting author. These details can be amended up to the abstract submission closing date.
- After completing the online form, you will be prompted to ‘Upload new or revised abstract’.
- Select ‘Browse’ to locate the abstract file on your computer.
- Select ‘Upload Abstract’.
- Once you have completed the abstract submission process you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive an email within 24hrs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Abstract selection will be based on clarity, scientific rigour, supporting data, significance, relevance, interest in the topic chosen, innovation and usefulness. The organising committee has the right to refuse or accept any submission, accept the submission as a poster or an oral presentation and allocate the paper to a different category than the one under which it as submitted.
Categories for submissions
Education and Professional Standards
Nuclear Medicine Physics
Radiation Oncology Medical Physics:
Image guidance and motion management
New technologies and techniques
Stereotactic radiotherapy and radiosurgery
Website Sponsored by VacuTec
AU Free Call: 1800 193 405
NZ Ph: +64 9 360 1240