Call for abstracts
Abstract submission closes 10 June 2018
The EPSM 2018 Conference Committee invites abstracts for the Engineering & Physical Sciences in Medicine Conference 2018 to be held in Adelaide, Australia, 29 October to 31 October 2018. The conference theme this year is “Science Fusion: Innovation through Diversity“. There are many ways to interpret the theme, including science blending (physics, biology, chemistry, …), fusion of sciences with health and medicine, clinical engineering and information technology, and the whole interoperability space between diverse devices. Other examples of fusion include the rise of various “omics”, multidisciplinary and international collaborations, and many others. The Committee is seeking exciting, innovative and creative presentations that encapsulate the theme and take the opportunity to showcase their work. Presentations at the EPSM Conference 2018 can be either oral presentations or posters.
10 June 2018: Deadline for submission of abstracts
End of July 2018: Notification of acceptance of abstracts
31 August 2018: Deadline for early bird registration
Abstract Preparation Guidelines
When preparing an abstract please follow the guidelines below:
- Abstracts should be typed into the template and saved on your computer for later reference.
- The filename of the Word document should only contain alpha/numeric characters with no spaces.
- The abstract should be typed in Arial font, size 11pt.
- A total of two tables, graphs or images may be included in the body of your abstract. Images should be 300dpi and embedded in the word document.
- The body of your abstract (including any tables, graphs or images) should not exceed 15cm in length.
- Your abstract should be structured as follows: Introduction, Methods, Results, Conclusion, References, and Acknowledgements (if applicable).
- Paragraphs must be separated by an empty line and must be fully justified. Do not indent the first line of a paragraph.
- All abstracts must be original work.
- Images, graphs and diagrams can be printed in colour and should be clear with legible typeface suitable for reproduction.
- All references should be written according to APESM journal format. Details can be found on the Springer APESM website under instructions to authors.
- The abstract must contain sufficient information and data to support any conclusions so that when published it should convey a complete account of the work.
- Upon submission of an abstract all authors of the abstract are aware of and agree to the publication of the abstract in the Conference collateral and in the official journal of the ACPSEM.
- Please check your abstract carefully as once submitted no further changes will be possible.
Instructions for Abstract Submission
- To register your abstract you need to have the following information:
- Preferred presentation type (oral or poster)
- The category under which you are submitting (see next section for details)
- A biography of up to 50 words on the presenting author. These details can be amended up to the abstract submission closing date.
- After completing the online form, you will be prompted to ‘Upload new or revised abstract’.
- Select ‘Browse’ to locate the abstract file on your computer.
- Select ‘Upload Abstract’.
- Once you have completed the abstract submission process you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive an email within 24hrs, please contact email@example.com.
Categories for submissions
Education and Professional Standards
Nuclear Medicine Physics
Radiation Oncology Medical Physics:
Image guidance and motion management
New technologies and techniques
Stereotactic radiotherapy and radiosurgery
Abstract selection will be based on clarity, scientific rigour, supporting data, significance, relevance, interest in the topic chosen, innovation and usefulness. The organising committee has the right to refuse or accept any submission, accept the submission as a poster or an oral presentation and allocate the paper to a different category than the one under which it as submitted.
Notification of acceptance will be provided to corresponding authors in end-July 2018. Abstract acceptance will oblige the presenting author to register and pay the appropriate registration fee to attend the conference to present their work.
Oral presentations are expected to be 15 minutes, comprised of 12 minutes for the presentation and 3 minutes for questions (allocated times may change at the discretion of the organising committee).
Posters will be on display for the duration of the Conference. Posters should be AO in size and portrait in format. Poster boards to which you can attach your poster will be supplied. Detailed guidelines will be sent to authors whose abstract is accepted as a poster.
Accepted abstracts will be available to all delegates and will be published in a volume of APESM early in 2019. Please note that the copyright of the conference proceedings belongs to EPSM, but the copyright of the individual abstracts belongs to the authors.
The Scientific Program Committee also invites you to apply for consideration of the following prizes:
Radiation Oncology Poster Presentation Prize
Radiation Oncology Oral Presentation Prize
ACPSEM prize for the best ‘non-radiation oncology’ poster presentation
ACPSEM prize for the best ‘non-radiation oncology’ oral presentation
Details of each of the prizes as well as the judging criteria can be viewed here